Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
From epicurious.com. To be made with an ice-cream machine. I've made this with the zest of a lemon to the egg yolks while whisking, and served with a drizzle of honey - outstanding! Cooking time is freezing time.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain and whole-milk (full fat)
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- 4Combine 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 cup whole milk, and 1/2 cup sugar in heavy medium saucepan. Bring mixture to simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Whisk 3 large egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in large heatproof bowl until blended. Gradually add hot cream mixture to yolk mixture and whisk until blended. Return mixture to saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens slightly and coats back of spoon when finger is drawn across and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 170°F, about 3 minutes (do not boil).
- Pour custard through strainer set over medium bowl. Place bowl with custard in larger bowl filled halfway with ice and water. Whisk occasionally until custard is almost cool to touch, about 5 minutes. Remove bowl with custard from ice water. Whisk yogurt and pinch of salt into custard. Refrigerate custard until well chilled.
- Transfer custard to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer yogurt ice cream to freezer container. Cover and freeze until ice cream is firm. DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen.