Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another everyday Mexican food dish. On the tangy side because of orange juice and vinegar. Cooking time (45 minutes) if cooked in pressure cooker, more if by another method.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 4 cups water (1 liter)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups stew meat stock
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, peeled and deviened,in strips
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, of your choice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- Cook the meat by your method of choice (pressure cooker,braising on stove top or crockpot) with 4 cups water,1/4 of the onion (chop the rest and reserve for next steps), 2 whole peeled garlic cloves and salt.
- Cook until meat is tender.
- Take the meat out of cooking pot and sieve the stock, reserving 2 cups.
- Cook the rest of the ingredients, except cornstarch, over medium heat until it boils.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 water, add to previous ingredients and stir until it mixes in.
- Add the meat, season with salt and pepper, cover the pot, and simmer for 10 more minutes.