Cook1 hr 35 mins
This is a very mild spaghetti sauce. Thick and chunky just like we like it. I make this with the veggies from my garden. I have tired many different homemade sauces and this is the first one that has wowed my DH.
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups green bell peppers, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup hungarian wax chile, chopped (banana peppers)
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced, chopped, and drained
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 16 cups tomatoes, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons salt (canning)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- Add all ingredients to stock pot.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, partially covered for 2 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- After it has simmered, fill clean sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top of jar. Put on cap, screw the band finger tight.
- Process for 35 minutes for quart jars in a water bath.
- ** You can also freeze in quart size freezer bags.
- This sauce is great on any pasta dish.