Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Made quickly one night when I was starving! The Neufchatel cream cheese gives the soup a nice tang --
Top Review by lauralie41
Loved this soup! I did add some minced garlic, used dried minced onion, and regular cream cheese. We like yukon gold potatoes for soup so DH bought those and bacon bits to use as a garnish. Creamy, cheesey, and tangy potato soup that will be a favorite for us to make. Made and reviewed for the Please Review My Recipe Tag Game.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 dashes ground thyme
- 6 ounces low-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel preferred)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 -3 slices crumbled bacon (optional ~ as a garnish, if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute chopped onion in butter and olive oil, until translucent.
- Add chopped potatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and ground thyme.
- Simmer gently for about 15 minutes til potatoes are tender, but not falling apart.
- Add Neufchatel cream cheese ~ stir until dissolved, over the lowest possible heat.
- Add sharp shredded cheddar cheese ~ stir until dissolved, over the lowest possible heat.
- Remove from heat ~ wait 10 minutes ~ stir and serve.
- Top with crumbled bacon, if desired.