Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from the local newspaper. It says that it is a recipe adapted from one from the Ca. Avocado Commission. Its a wonderful recipe, that is heart healthy, and lighter because the wonderful tangy dressing substitutes for mayo in most salads such as this. Lots of wonderful flavors, textures, and colors!
- 6 medium red potatoes, unpeeled,cut into 1 inch cubes
- water, for boiling
- 2 avocados, peeled,pitted,and cubed
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard (use your favorite honey mustard!!)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- First you will need to boil your potato cubes in a large pot with water to cover.
- Boil approx 15 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, toss avocado cubes with 2 tablespoons of lime juice and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes once tender, and place in bowl of cold water.
- Once your potatoes have cooled, drain well and place in a large bowl.
- Then whisk 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) lime juice, crushed garlic, honey mustard, sugar, salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil, and yogurt in a nonreactive bowl to make the dressing.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently.
- Then gently fold in the avocados, onions and cilantro.
- You may serve this at room temperature, but it is best covered tightly and chilled for 1-3 hrs before serving.
- Can be prepared up to three hours in advance before serving.
We really enjoyed this. My husband made it to take to a cookout. It is definately TANGY, i think mainly due to the yogurt which is so different than using mayo for potato salad. It got rave reviews with many people asking for the recipe. we will definately have this again (and again!)
this is a nice tangy potato salad. i used red onions for color along with a vidalia.i refrigerated this overnight to give the flavors a chance to blend and served this with burritos
This was very good and quite easy to make. I found it more sweet than tangy, but that is just me. Just not sure what it would "go" with.