Prep 6 hrs
Cook 25 mins
I use this often on my outdoor and indoor grill or for broiling, brush this on the last 15-20 minutes of cooking time. Plan ahead this sauce needs to chill for a minimum of 6 hours before using. This will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil (do not use olive oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chili sauce (store-bought)
- 3⁄4 cup light molasses
- 3⁄4 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- salt (optional)
- In a heavy sauce sauté onion and garlic in about 2 tablespoons oil until soft (about 3 minutes).
- Add in all remaining ingredients; mix to combine and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat; simmer until the sauce thickens and is reduced to around 2 cups or a little more, stirring occasionally, season with salt if desired (this should take about 20 minutes).
- Cool completely, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours.
I have been making this sauce for years. It is good and tangy. You can adjust the heat if needed. I would recommend this recipe