Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my favorite cauliflower dish. At a training seminar, teachers could "teach" anything to demonstrate their teaching techniques. One teacher taught us how to cook this recipe, and I love it!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 118.29-177.44 ml mayonnaise
- 14.79 ml finely chopped green onions or 14.79 ml mild onion
- 118.29-236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese or 118.29-236.59 ml parmesan cheese
- 4.92-9.85 ml prepared mustard
- 1.23-2.46 ml salt, optional
- Wash cauliflower and drain.
- Cut off large stem, leaving mostly the top of the cauliflower.
- Cut into bite-sized florets and place in a single or double layer on a serving platter or microwave dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH for about 5-8 minutes until tender crisp (do not overcook).
- Microwaves vary so check after 4-5 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, mix mayonnaise, mustard, and onion together.
- As soon as cauliflower is done, remove plastic wrap and (sprinkle with salt, if using) spread sauce over hot cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high to just melt cheese.
- Serve hot.
- VARIATION: If you like hot foods, add a little hot sauce to mayonnaise mixture.
I would put a "scant" 1 teaspoon of mustard in the sauce the next time. I used a very generous teaspoon and found the mustard taste too overwhelming.
I had a small head of cauliflower so used 1/2 cup of mayo and 1/2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I had red onion on hand and used that in place of green onion. I made a mistake and mixed the mayo and cheese together so spooned mixture onto the microwaved florets....it certainly didn't change the great taste of this dish. I also added a dash of hot sauce (along with the mustard and salt) to the mayo mixture. WOW! We ate every bite and scraped the plate. BeachGirl, I wish I could give you 10 stars for this recipe. Thanx!
This was, quick, tasty and will be made again. I did add some water to the dish when microwaving the cauliflower and I added some hot sauce to the mayo/cheese mixture as you suggested. Served it sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley.