Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The gruyere makes this worthy of a Sunday Dinner. I usually have nothing left over for myself the next day. This recipe came from Martha Stewart website. Note: I've made it with hot and cold milk and couldn't taste the any difference with the hot milk so that step can be skipped. I cook everything (besides the pasta) in a medium saucepan. I also use Cellentani pasta for a more special "look".
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices good white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4 to 1/2 pieces
- 5 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 4 1⁄2 cups grated white cheddar cheese (about 18 oz)
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese (about 8 oz.) or 1 1⁄4 cups grated pecorino romano cheese (about 5 oz)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- Heat over to 375 degrees. Butter a 3 qt casserole dish and set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tbls butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread and toss. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tbls butter in a high sided skillet over medium heat. when butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking 1 minute.
- While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking until the mixtures bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in the salt, nutmeg, black and cayenne pepper, 2 cupes cheddar and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino cheese. Set sauce aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add macaronil cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of the pasta is cooked an dthe inside in underdone. Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions. Transfer macaroni to a colander and rinse under cold water. drain well. Stir macaroni into reserved cheese sauce.
- Pour macaroni into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 Pecorino, and breadcrumbs on top. Bake until browned on top - about 30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and serve.