Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 drop green food coloring, if desired
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
- Combine all the filling ingredients except the food coloring in a two quart saucepan.
- Whisk to combine.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Do Not Boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in food coloring if desired.
- Set aside to cool.
- Heat Oven to 325.
- Combine butter, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often,until well mixed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour and salt.
- Beat until well mixed, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb or back of teaspoon.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of filling into each cookie indention.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until set but not brown.
- Let stand for one minute.
- Remove from cookie sheets.
- Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Great tasting cookie, although, next time I might add more sugar to the cookie. This made about 18 cookies for me. I'll keep this recipe in mind next time I have alot of limes! Thanks!
very easy to make, very good. light fluffy cookies. next time i will make more filling though!