Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A mouth-watering dessert that my Mum makes to perfection, with perfect pastry and the smoothest lemon filling.
for the pastry dough
- 175 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 75 g icing sugar
- 90 g very cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
for the pie filling
- 4 free range eggs
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- 2 lemons, zest of, finely grated
- 100 ml lemon juice, approx 3 juicy lemons
- 100 ml heavy cream
- Mix the egg yolk with the cold water.
- Preheat a baking sheet in the oven at 190C, 375°F.
- Rub the flour, salt, sugar and butter between your fingers until it resembles very fine breadcrumbs.
- Add egg yolk mixture and stir into the pastry mixture with a fork, stop when the pastry begins to come together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for a few seconds.
- Roll the pastry out to 0.5cm thick and fit into a loose-bottomed 24cm fluted tart tin.
- Trim excess pastry, leaving a 1cm border.
- Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes, then line with baking paper and fill with baking beans.
- Cook the heated baking sheet for 10 minutes, remove paper and beans, trim edges again and cook for a further 8-10 minutes.
- then remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160C, 325°F.
- Make the filling by whisking the eggs and sugar together, stir in the zest, lemon juice and double cream.
- Transfer the mixture to a jug and carefully pour it into the pastry case. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- The tart is ready when the lemon cream filling is almost set, but still wobbles very slightly.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and then remove it from the tin. As the tart cools, the filling will set perfectly.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with crème fraiche and fresh berries.