Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this on the back of a grocery cash register receipt, just don't ask which store! I have NO idea, although the most likely would be Ingles, in Georgia where I used to live. That was were I did 99% of my grocery shopping. I haven't tried it, but intend to very soon. It sounds delicious.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, equal or sugar, and salt in medium sized bowl. Cut into this the 6 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender until it is a bowlful of coarse crumbs.
- Next, sprinkle this with 1 teaspoon of the grated lemon peel.
- Mix with your hands to form a dough.
- Press the dough evenly on the bottom and up the side for 1/4" of an 8" square baking pan.
- Bake until set, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Do not remove from the pan yet.
- Beat the eggs and the equal, or the sugar.
- Into this mix the lemon juice, the 4 tablespoons of melted butter and the 1 tablspoon of the lemon peel.
- This is then poured onto the cake, and baked for a further 15 minutes, or until the filling is completely set.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares, and carefully remove from pan and place on serving plate.
Great tangy flevor, but way too soft! It needs more flour in the crust, and maybe a little in the filling.
These squares are delicious. They're very soft. Probably because I didn't use butter in the crust (it was at room temperature, so I had to use cold shortening). I left the crust in the oven for 15 minutes. If I do them again, I'll probably reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup in the filling. Thanks Kayne. Made for Newest Zaar Tag