Recipe by Kayne
I found this on the back of a grocery cash register receipt, just don't ask which store! I have NO idea, although the most likely would be Ingles, in Georgia where I used to live. That was were I did 99% of my grocery shopping. I haven't tried it, but intend to very soon. It sounds delicious.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, equal or sugar, and salt in medium sized bowl. Cut into this the 6 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender until it is a bowlful of coarse crumbs.
- Next, sprinkle this with 1 teaspoon of the grated lemon peel.
- Mix with your hands to form a dough.
- Press the dough evenly on the bottom and up the side for 1/4" of an 8" square baking pan.
- Bake until set, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Do not remove from the pan yet.
- Beat the eggs and the equal, or the sugar.
- Into this mix the lemon juice, the 4 tablespoons of melted butter and the 1 tablspoon of the lemon peel.
- This is then poured onto the cake, and baked for a further 15 minutes, or until the filling is completely set.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares, and carefully remove from pan and place on serving plate.