Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 min
Absolutely delicious grilled or baked chicken, with the sweet-sour flavors of plums, lemon and a dash of cloves, mustard, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces. And although we haven't tried it, we think that the sauce itself would be just as good on pork, or would make a fine dipping sauce for egg rolls, etc.!
- 3 large bone-in chicken breasts, with skin
- garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can purple plums, drained and pitted
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen pink lemonade concentrate
- 4 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Puree plums in a blender.
- Saute onion in butter until tender (do not brown).
- Add plum puree and the rest of the ingredients (except chicken).
- Simmer together 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder and salt to taste.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, then uncover and spoon on half of the plum sauce, spreading evenly.
- Raise oven heat to 400 degrees and return chicken to oven for 15 more minutes.
- Baste chicken with the rest of the sauce and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Alternatively,this is also wonderful grilled!
- Grill over medium coals until almost done, then baste frequently with plum sauce; can serve extra on the side.
This sauce was simple to mix up and tasty and the only thing I would do differently would be to use a little less chili sauce since I thought it covered up the plum flavor too thoroughly for my taste. But overall a tasty dinner that I would make again. I shared some leftovers with Mom and she enjoyed them too.