Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My daughter loves this recipe. It is nice and lemony. Very nice served with rice.
- 2 lemons
- 1 whole roasting chicken (about 5 lbs)
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml parsley, fresh, chopped
- 14.79 ml thyme, fresh, chopped
- 2.46 ml rosemary, fresh, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 bulbs fennel, cut into wedges
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Juice 1 lemon and quarter remaining lemon.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, herbs, and 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Spread ½ this mixture under skin of chicken.
- Place lemon and yellow onion quarters in cavity of chicken; tie legs together with chicken twine.
- Spread remaining lemon mixture evenly over chicken.
- Place fennel wedges and red onion wedges in roasting pan and place chicken on top on vegetables.
- Roast 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until thermometer inserted in chicken thigh, not touching bone, reads 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
This turned out really really good. You could taste the lemon and fennel throughout the whole chicken. I added potatoes to the bottom of my roasting pan with the fennel and it was delicious. I made a pan sauce by heating up the leftover juices and adding just a touch of half and half. Thanks for another keeper!
This is a real 10 STAR recipe!!!! So many great flavors blended together. The fennel is a really nice touch. I added some carrots to the roasting pan also, and they soaked up the flavors quite nicely. Served with rice pilaf and steamed broccoli, and of course, the cooked fennel and onion pieces. Made for tag game at kittencalskitchen.com