Recipe by queenbeatrice
My daughter loves this recipe. It is nice and lemony. Very nice served with rice.
Top Review by ChelseaW
This turned out really really good. You could taste the lemon and fennel throughout the whole chicken. I added potatoes to the bottom of my roasting pan with the fennel and it was delicious. I made a pan sauce by heating up the leftover juices and adding just a touch of half and half. Thanks for another keeper!
- 2 lemons
- 1 whole roasting chicken (about 5 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary, fresh, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 bulbs fennel, cut into wedges
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Juice 1 lemon and quarter remaining lemon.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, herbs, and 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Spread ½ this mixture under skin of chicken.
- Place lemon and yellow onion quarters in cavity of chicken; tie legs together with chicken twine.
- Spread remaining lemon mixture evenly over chicken.
- Place fennel wedges and red onion wedges in roasting pan and place chicken on top on vegetables.
- Roast 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until thermometer inserted in chicken thigh, not touching bone, reads 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.