Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
These not-so-sweet bars are a nice change from the sweet treats and will stand out if placed with a selection of holiday cookies. Can be frozen for up to one month, if you are planning ahead.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon rind, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Grease 13 x 9 inch cake pan, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In mixing bowl beat butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy, stir in flour until just blended. Press into prepared pan
- Bake for 25 min or until golden. Let cool completely in pan on cooling rack.
- In bowl beat eggs with sugar until pale and thickened. Add lemon rind, lemon juice, flour and baking powder, beat until smooth.
- Pour over cooled base.
- Bake in 325 F oven until set, approx 25-30 min.
- Let cool completely in pan on cooling rack.
- Dust withicing sugar and cut into bars.
Yum, so lemony! I skipped the icing sugar topping but otherwise follow the recipe. My family are pigs for treats, so no way did this make 40 bars, but it was much loved!
This recipe was made so that my other half would have a lemony treat to share at a birthday gathering for a co-worker, & they were a very big hit, especially since they weren't from a premade mix (which is how I often make these kinds of bars) ~ Now I have a great, new way of preparing them, as they are definitely not so sweet, allowing the real lemon flavor to come through! Thanks for a very nice keeper recipe! I did not, however, include the powdered sugar on top! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar tag]
These are great. I usually make these from a box mix and not too often since I am the only one that eats them. These are so much better than the box and I always have all the ingredients on hand and I can reduce it to half a batch if I want. These will be my go to recipe. Made for Best of 2011 Cookbook Tag Game.