Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a Zaar recipe that I adopted. I hope to make this soon and will post any modification that I make to the recipe. Serve with crackers, pita wedges, or crusty fresh bread. From The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low Fat Favorites.
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons canola oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 pinch pepper, to taste
- Cut off stem end, then bake eggplant in 400 F oven for 25 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from oven.
- Cut in half and let cool a bit.
- Using a blender, combine onion, garlic, lemon juice, oil, mustard and vinegar.
- Add eggplant, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Blend just until smooth.
- Do not over blend.
- Put in a bowl.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Well, I started with this recipe, except I sauteed the onions and garlic in a little olive oil and it was a little bland, no kick. I had half a can of garbanzo beans so I added that and about 3 more cloves garlic. Still not what I wanted. I then added abut a tbls. of capers, and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and a squeeze or two more of lime juice. Now it's yummy! I didn't know how to rate this due to all the changes so I'll just leave this as a comment. I had fun experimenting with this recipe!
This was just okay. I thought the raw onion and garlic had too much "bite" and should have been cooked first. I also think it would work much better in my food processor because the blender just threw the ingredients onto the sides and I kept having to scrape it down for anything to touch the blades. I probably wouldn't make it again, but it wasn't bad.