Recipe by COOKGIRl
Changed in a few places from a recipe found in a local publication. For the dressing you can use frozen limeade concentrate or freshly squeezed lime juice, to taste. We tested this recipe using fresh [key] lime juice and used only one quarter cup. Substitute another sweetener for the honey if you want this vegan.
- 8 cups melon fruit (mixture of cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, Tuscan melon, any heirloom varieties of melons, etc.)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh key lime juice or 1⁄2 cup frozen limeade concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup- 1/3 cup honey (Try a flavored honey and remember local honey is best!)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed, approximately
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- fresh lavender flowers (my addition but optional) or of fresh mint (my addition but optional)
- key lime zest, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the dressing together and set aside.
- Cut the fruit up into bite size pieces and place in a big bowl (non-reactive).
- Pour the dressing over the fruit; stir carefully but well.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds and the slivered almonds. Garnish with fresh mint and key lime zest, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate or serve immediately.