Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A steak filled with wonderful flavor. Serve with bake potatoes with sour cream and chives.
- 680.38 g beef flank steak
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 113.39 g chopped green chilies, drained (optional)
- 78.07 ml water
- 29.58 ml vinegar
- 6.16 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- Cut flank steak in half if needed to fit in crock pot.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown flank steak in oil.
- Place in crock pot.
- In skillet, place onion, green chilies if desired, water, vinegar, chili powder, garlic powder, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or on low for 6 to 7 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Transfer meat to a warm platter.
- Slice meat diagonally.
- Remove onion from slow cooker with a slotted spoon and arrange around meat.
- If desired, baste with juices.
I disregared the second chili powder ingredient and added mushrooms to the recipe. Served with mashed potatoes and asparagus.
This turned out just great. The flank steak that I had was already cut into strips, so I just seared up those strips a little and adjusted the cook time. I was a bit confused by the chili powder ingredients. It was listed 2 times with 2 different amounts, so I put cumin in for the 1 teaspoon amount and 1 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder. Served over mashed potatoes