Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
My friend gave me this recipe, now my husband wants it everyday, but only gets it once a month.
Make and share this Tangy Flank Steak recipe from Food.com.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown flank steak in oil.
- Place in crockpot.
- You may need to cut it in half to fit.
- In skillet, place onion, green chiles, water, vinegar, chili powder, garlic powder, sugar, salt and peper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook until meat is very tender, 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 to 3 1/2 hours on high.
- Transfer meat to a warm platter.
- Slice meat diagonally.
- Remove onion from crockpot with slotted spoon and arrange around meat.
- If desired, baste with juices.
I can see why your husband loves this recipe. The green chilies add such a nice flavor to this dish. My 14 year old son made this while I was out of town visiting colleges with my daughter. We had the leftovers when I go back. It was fantastic reheated. I am glad I had him double the recipe because the three of them ate one whole flank steak. LOL We have 2 crockpots so that isn't a problem. These is a true keeper. These would be nice served on a hoagie roll with hot mustard.
I think the meat came out perfectly cooked and flavors were good, but could have been a little better. I would like to give this 3 1/2 stars if I could. Maybe a little more vinegar and chili flavor. Serving the juices with the meat was a must, I think thickening the juices and serving like a gravy would be really good too! Made for I recommend tage game, Sept. '08.
Sorry Polly but I found the recipe on the bland side. It was not tangy at all. I guess my taste buds are used to real spicy, tangy and kicking flavors. This didn't do anything for me. I will not be making this again.