Recipe by Scutch
After searching for a great dill pickle relish, I combined a couple and came up with this wonderful tasting relish. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family.
Top Review by Tim964
I made this last weekend and it turned out great. I did use more cucumbers, because I removed the seeds. Also used my food processor to "grind" the cukes. Added a red pepper too and did not add any sugar.
- 1360.77 g cucumbers (about 8-9 pickling cucumbers)
- 2-3 sweet onions
- 59.14 ml pickling salt
- 709.77 ml white vinegar
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml dill seeds
- 9.85 ml mustard seeds
- 9.85 ml celery seeds
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop cucumbers and onions. Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt, stir well. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain mixture in a colander, rinse under cold water and drain again, pressing out any excess moisture.
- In a large pot, bring vinegar, sugar, garlic, dill seed, mustard seed, celery seed to a boil.
- Add cucumber mixture, bring to a boil again, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. After 9 minutes, mix the cornstarch with a bit of the simmering juice until no lumps remain. Add to the relish and mix well until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add the turmeric and mix well.
- Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal with lids and rings. Process in boiling water bath in canner for 10 minutes.