Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a dairy-free slaw. Very refreshing for a hot summer day. I serve this with Carnitas, black beans and rice. It is a nice counterpoint to the rich meat. Made this one up myself...
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 head red cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 serrano chili, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
- Put the chili in a small saucepan with the pineapple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce to 1/4 cup. Remove and discard the chili.
- Mix remaining dressing ingredients and set aside until cool.
- Toss cabbage and carrots in the dressing.
This was light and fresh. I made mini meatloaves and this was such a great accompanyment to a summer meal. I did not have the serrano chili so made it without. Even my kids ate seconds. Thanks.