Prep 30 mins
Cook 17 mins
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season the chicken liberally with half of the thyme and salt and pepper; add to the hot skillet.
- Cook the chicken 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Return the skillet to the burner over med-high heat; add in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and onions, celery, red pepper flakes, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the celery and onion are tender.
- Add in the white wine and cook until the pan is almost dry, 1 minute.
- Add in the chicken stock, dried cherries, and remaining thyme; continue to cook for about 4-5 minutes or until there is about ¼ cup of liquid left in the pan.
- Turn the heat off the pan; add in the butter and whisk until it has completely melted.
- Serve the chicken breasts whole or sliced with cherry sauce poured over them.