Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very grown-up tasting macaroni and cheese, with the nip of sharp cheddar and prepared mustard, and the tang of sour cream. In place of the mustard, try Worcestershire sauce, or a dash of Tabasco. Other pastas can be used also, like shells or rotini.
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard, Gulden's spicy brown is good
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Cook pasta al dente.
- Drain and rinse; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, parmesan, 1 egg, 1 cup cheddar cheese, prepared mustard, milk, butter, and salt and pepper.
- Stir in cooked pasta.
- Spread into a 9 inch square baking dish, top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for about one hour, or until set.
I'm giving this recipe 5 stars . I was looking for a recipe like the one my favorite health food market makes . This recipe seemed very close so , I tweaked it a little and was very pleased with the results ! I used penne pasta and grey poupon mustard , the rest of the ingredients were left the same . I put it in my gratin dish , then added marinara sauce to the top of the casserole and then topped it off with a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella cheeses . Baked till bubbly and starting to brown on top . We really liked this and plan on making it again soon !! The marinara sauce blended with the pasta and cheeses very nicely . A wonderful meatless meal !!