1/4 Photos of Tangy Braised Cabbage
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. Yes, there are other braised cabbage recipes posted, but this not only looks different, it happens to be the lowest fat dish in a cookbook full of very high fat recipes. It also is a breeze to make and utterly delicious. I'm a sucker for caramelized anything. If you prefer a sweeter taste, add a bit more sugar. From a cookbook called The New Irish Table.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 1 head cabbage, shredded (savoy or napa)
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In a heavy saucepan, heat the sunflower oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the shallots, cabbage, horseradish, garlic and ginger and saute for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the cabbage starts to wilt.
- 3Stir in the sugar and cook to caramelize the cabbage lightly.
- 4Add the vinegar and lemon juice and stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 5Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tangy Braised Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.1
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 31.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar