Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sonoma diet cookbook.
Make and share this Tangy Black Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 12 minced garlic cloves (2 tablespoons minced)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (15 -16 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dried tomatoe (not oil-packed)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add cumin and cook/stir one minute more.
- Add broth, beans, lemon slices, tomatoes, jalapeno and dried oregano (if using).
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard lemon slices and remove 3 cups of the soup mixture to a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the mixture in the bowl.
- Return to Dutch oven.
- Return to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes more.
- Stir occasionally.
- Stir in vinegar and fresh oregano (if using).
Garlic, I love garlic, so this recipe was calling my name. Easy to fix and fast to get on the table. As I cut the tomatoes I wondered if they would be too strong but they were perfect in the soup. I used 2 jalapeno and think that next time I'll leave the seed in 1 of them for an extra kick in the soup. Thank you for posting. Made for *My-3-Chefs Fall 2008* game for my Theme: *FALL is SOUP TIME*