Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This sauce is great over venison, barbequed hamburgers and hot dogs. Cooked in the oven the beef brisket becomes juicy and tender. The secret's in the sauce. The sweetness of brown sugar and bite of horseradish enhance the flavour of the beef. This is great for birthdays, holidays, potlucks, dinner parties and camping trips. Make it ahead of time and freeze it. All you have to do is reheat for a main course that looks as good as it tastes.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (28 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 lbs fresh boneless beef brisket, not corned beef
- In a saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender.
- Add the next nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncoverd for 30-40 minutes.
- Place brisket in a roasting pan.
- Add 3 cups of sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 F.
- for 4 hours, basting occasionally.
- Skim fat.
- Remove brisket; thinly slice the beef and return to pan.
- Add remaining sauce if desired.
- Yield: 12 to 14 servings (6 cups sauce).
Found this receipe on the internet and made it yesterday. Family absolutely loved this and wants me to make again. I will be curious to try this on other meats as well.