Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My mother made this soup for me when I was young. It is one of my husband's favorites on cold winter nights. For those of you who like more "tang" I add 1 tsp cayenne pepper.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- In a crock pot: Combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- For dumplings:Combine the flour, cheese, cornmeal, sugar & baking powder in a bowl.
- In another bowl combine the egg, milk & oil.
- Add to dry ingredients until just moistened. The batter will be stiff.
- Drop heaping tablespoons onto the soup and cover and cook on high for 30 minutes longer-DO NOT LIFT COVER. Dumplings are done when you insert toothpick and it comes out clean.