Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Want to try a homemade BBQ sauce. Here is one that is easily made in a slow-cooker. A good all-purpose BBQ sauce.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder (or to your taste)
- 2 cups ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat; cook the onion, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add in the wine and vinegar; bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits sticking to the pan.
- Transfer mixture to a slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- If the sauce is not thick enough for you, remove the lid, turn the cooker to HIGH, and cook up to 30 minutes until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Puree with a handheld immersion blender or transfer to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Let cool, then transfer to a jar, and stor, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.