Recipe by Mad Maryno
I did those once at the restaurant I used to work at. Served it with a saffron rice pilaf. They sold pretty well. Prep ahead, as they need to marinate quite a while. Instead of grilling them, you can broil them in your oven, just moving them from side to side. My trick is to use frozen then thawed tofu, super meatier! At home i serve it with ratatouille (see my ratatouille caviar recipe!) and vegetables cooked in foil (See Mom's Barbecued Boulangère Potatoes) Some of the cooking time is marinating time.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed, then cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup grainy mustard
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup montreal steak mixed spice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, cut in triangles
- 1 green pepper, cut in triangles
- 1 vidalia onion, cut into 1 inch cubes, then slivered
Directions See How It's Made
- Pretty much, you put the tofu in a ziploc bag.
- Then in a bowl, mix the mustard, vinegar, steak spices, oil and the garlic.
- Pour over tofu, and let marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Soak bamboo skewers (it will make 4 big skewers, but soak 5 just in case).
- for at least 30 minutes in lukewarm water.
- Skewer the tofu and the vegetable in a order that seems to be appropriate for you.
- Grill or broil!
- Or bake in oven at 400°F for about 20 minutes, moving them around.