Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This sauce is tangy and not too sweet, it makes a perfect basting sauce. Try to make this sauce a day ahead and refrigerate to blend the flavors further. For more heat add in cayenne pepper, adjust all ingredients to taste
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat; add in onion and garlic, saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in all remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a light simmer.
- Cook stirring occasionally for about 35 minutes.
- Season with black pepper and more seasoned salt or white salt to taste.
WOW! This is awesome! I always line up my ingredients, then make the recipe.This went in the bowl fast! I had everything in my pantry. All of those flavors mixed together spells YUMMY! Thanks so much for sharing Kit!