Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 9 ounces mixed salad greens (arugula, frisÃƒ e, dandelion, and mustard)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled Stilton cheese
- To make the walnuts, preheat oven to 350°F In a small bowl, stir tamari, molasses, a pinch of salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and cayenne until blended.
- Add nuts and toss until coated. With a slotted spoon, transfer walnuts to a wire rack set over a baking sheet and roast about 10 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely on rack. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, in a 1-quart saucepan, heat apple juice and vinegar over medium heat until mixture boils.
- Place cherries in a small bowl. Pour hot juice mixture over cherries; allow cherries to marinate and soften, 30 minutes.
- Strain juice mixture from cherries into the same saucepan. Heat mixture to boiling; simmer 15 to 17 minutes over medium heat, or until juice mixture is reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Transfer juice mixture to a small bowl and blend with oil. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine greens, walnuts, red onion, Stilton, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and marinated cherries.
- Whisk dressing just before drizzling over salad. Toss salad gently and briefly to prevent cheese from clumping.