Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another "simply delicioso" recipe from Ingrid Hoffmann. A very tasty and pretty side dish.
- 6 large firm tomatoes
- 8 ounces uncooked chorizo sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, finely chopped (may substitute green bell pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1 cup grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off top third of each tomato. Scoop out seeds, juice and pulp from and discard. Set tomato "shell" aside to stuff later.
- Chop tomato top up and set aside.
- In medium nonstick skillet, saute chorizo in olive oil, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks.
- When browned all over, add onion to skillet and cook until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, celery, and poblano pepper and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring to combine well.
- Add reserved chopped tomato tops, salt, and pepper and stir for another minute.
- Remove skillet from heat. Mix in 2 tablespoons cilantro, bread crumbs, and pepper jack cheese.
- Using a large spoon, stuff mixture into tomatoes, packing down firmly.
- Top with Parmesan and place tomatoes in oiled baking dish.
- Bake until heated through and cheese turns golden, approximately 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro and serve.
This is delicious! Great combination of ingredients. Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.