Recipe by twissis
FRESH is a sml chain of Canadian-owned & operated restaurants, which originally began as a juice bar 20 yrs ago. Everything on their menu is vegan, altho they offer some vegetarian dishes at their takeout counter. They have published 3 cookbooks described as “for those relatively comfortable w/cooking (particularly vegan cooking)” & “with restaurant quality pretty much guaranteed”. This recipe is FRESH’s famous Tangled Thai Salad - 1 of their MOST requested recipes. FRESH uses a “spiralizer” to cut the carrot & yellow beets into super-long, thin strands that form a big round tangle of a salad, but a julienne peeler will give you nice long strands as well. If you have no spiralizer or julienne peeler, just cut the veggies into sticks as thin & long as you can. Said to serve “1 person as a complete meal”, it also serves 2-3 as a side-salad. FRESH uses their “Salad Topper” w/this Thai salad, but I saw it as optional & have entered it as a separate recipe. This is a no-cook recipe & I have allowed 20 min for ingredient prep plus assembly. Enjoy!
For the Salad
- 1 cup napa cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sliced jicama (cut into sml sticks)
- 2⁄3 cup carrot (shredded or spiralized)
- 2⁄3 cup yellow beet (shredded or spiralized)
- 3 slices cucumbers, halved
- 2 teaspoons raw peanuts, chopped
- 1 lime wedge
- 2 -3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
For the Peanut Lime Dressing
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, tightly packed
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, Plus
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (as below)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce (as below)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Salad:.
- Put napa cabbage in a lrg, shallow serving bowl & top w/jicama.
- Pile the carrot & beet on top & drizzle w/the dressing.
- Garnish w/cucumber, peanuts, Salad Topper (if using - recipe entered separately), lime & cilantro. Drizzle w/4 tbsp of the Peanut Lime Dressing.
- For the Dressing:.
- In a blender, puree all ingredients except the sunflower oil.
- W/blender running, add sunflower oil in a thin stream until dressing is emulsified.
- NOTE – “The Peanut Lime Dressing makes 1 cup, keeps for a wk in the fridge, is delicious on the Tangled Thai Salad & would be equally good on any salad or even poured on top of cold noodles.”.