Recipe by Scoutie
This is a yummy stir-fry. The tangerine adds a very refreshing flavor to the dish. 2 to 3 oranges can be substituted for the tangerines. I serve with rice. Prep time does not include marinade time. This is adapted from Cooks Illustrated, Nov. 2007 issue. Hope you enjoy!
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, plus 1 additional teaspoon
- 12 ounces flank steaks, cut into 2-inch wide strips with grain, then sliced across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 3⁄4 cup tangerine juice plus 1 teaspoon grated zest from 3 to 4 tangerine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 10 ounces snow peas, ends trimmed and strings removed (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar in medium bowl. Add beef, toss well, and marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring once.
- Sauce: Meanwhile, whisk remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, remaining tablespoon sugar, tangerine juice, sesame oil, and cornstarch in medium bowl.
- Zest-Garlic Mixture: Combine tangerine zest, garlic, ginger, black bean sauce, pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in small bowl.
- Drain beef and discard liquid. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef in single layer, breaking up clumps. Cook,without stirring, for 1 minute, then stir and cook until browned,1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer beef to clean bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in skillet and repeat with remaining beef. Rinse skillet and dry with paper towels.
- Add remaining tablespoon vegetable oil to now-empty skillet and heat until just smoking.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add snow peas and continue to cook until spotty brown, about 2 minutes longer. Add water and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 1 minute.
- Push vegetables to sides of skillet; add zest-garlic mixture to clearing and cook, mashing with spatula, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Combine zest-garlic mixture with vegetables.
- Return beef and any juices to skillet and stir to combine. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Serve.