Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The source for this recipe is The Foods of the Greek Islands by Aglaia Kremezi. This particular recipe comes from the island of Chios. These are no-bake cookies that require 3 days standing before serving.
- Peel tangerines and place the peels in a saucepan. Set the tangerines aside. Add enough cold water to cover the peels and bring to a boil. Drain the peels, and add fresh cold water to cover them, and bring them to the boil again. Drain and rinse with cold running water. Dry completely with paper towels.
- Combine the almonds and tangerine peels in the food processor and pulse repeatedly until they are finely ground.
- Juice the tangerine fruit by placing them in a sieve set over a bowl, and pressing against the fruit to mash and release all the juice.
- Combine the almond mixture, sugar and 2/3 cup of the tangerine juice in a large saucepan, and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved - about 7 minutes. Let cool.
- Shape the mixture into tablespoon size portions, making a pear shape of about 1 1/2". Wet your fingers with remaining tangerine juice to make the job easier. Dredge each cookie in confectioner's sugar to coat. Wrap individually in cellophane, colored plastic wrap, or just place in a single layer in a container with a lid. Let stand 3 days before serving.