Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Pound for pound, this fine textured cake, rich in butter and eggs.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated tangerine peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup tangerine juice
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease bottom and side of 12-cup fluted tube cake pan or 2 (9x5-inch) loaf pans with shortening; lightly flour.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup butter, the tangerine peel, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 5 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk on low speed, beating just until smooth after each addition.
- Pour into pan. (If using fluted tube cake pan, place pan on cookie sheet.).
- Bake fluted tube cake pan 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, loaf pans 55 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons butter and the tangerine juice over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum.
- Immediately poke long skewer into top of baked cake at 1-inch intervals (about 20 times).
- Spoon glaze over cake, allowing glaze to soak into holes.
- Cool 20 minutes and remove from pan to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours.