Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 9 inch classic pie crust, baked (Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tangerine juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated tangerine zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons strained confectioners' sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- MAKE THE FILLING: In a medium-size saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar with the cornstarch.
- Gradually add the tangerine juice and water, whisking until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium-size bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a whisk.
- Gradually whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Stir a small amount of the filling into the egg mixture to temper them.
- Then add the yolk mixture to the saucepan, blending the mixtures together.
- Be sure to reach into the crease of the pan.
- Slowly cook the filling until it is thick, about 1 minute longer.
- Whisk briefly to smooth the filling, but DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the tangerine zest and vanilla extract.
- Pour the filling into the baked pie shell.
- MAKE THE MERINGUE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Position the oven rack to the lower third of the oven.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars.
- Set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with beaters or whip attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and increase the mixer speed to medium-high.
- Beat until the egg whites form firm peaks, but are not dry.
- Whip in the sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, taking about 1 minute.
- Beat the whites until thick and glossy, about 30 seconds longer.
- With a tablespoon, drop mounds of meringue in a ring around the edge of the filling, then fill in the center.
- With the back of a tablespoon, spread the meringue until it COMPLETELY covers the filling.
- Swirl the meringue with the back of the tablespoon to form peaks.
- To prevent weeping, be sure the meringue is sealed to the very edge of the pie, and that all the filling is covered.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool the pie away from drafts.
- Do not cut the pie until it is almost cool.
Very Good!!! My husband saw that it was tangerine and he said, " Now what are you trying?" He is a choco person and even he said it was delicious!! Thanks, Karen
I'm a tangerine fan. And this is good pie. Very easy to put together. Thanks.