My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 9 inch classic pie crust, baked (Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tangerine juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated tangerine zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1MAKE THE FILLING: In a medium-size saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar with the cornstarch.
- 2Gradually add the tangerine juice and water, whisking until smooth.
- 3Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- 4Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring occasionally.
- 5In a medium-size bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a whisk.
- 6Gradually whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- 7Stir a small amount of the filling into the egg mixture to temper them.
- 8Then add the yolk mixture to the saucepan, blending the mixtures together.
- 9Be sure to reach into the crease of the pan.
- 10Slowly cook the filling until it is thick, about 1 minute longer.
- 11Whisk briefly to smooth the filling, but DO NOT OVERMIX.
- 12Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the tangerine zest and vanilla extract.
- 13Pour the filling into the baked pie shell.
- 14MAKE THE MERINGUE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 15Position the oven rack to the lower third of the oven.
- 16In a small bowl, combine the sugars.
- 17Set aside.
- 18In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with beaters or whip attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
- 19Add the cream of tartar and increase the mixer speed to medium-high.
- 20Beat until the egg whites form firm peaks, but are not dry.
- 21Whip in the sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, taking about 1 minute.
- 22Beat the whites until thick and glossy, about 30 seconds longer.
- 23With a tablespoon, drop mounds of meringue in a ring around the edge of the filling, then fill in the center.
- 24With the back of a tablespoon, spread the meringue until it COMPLETELY covers the filling.
- 25Swirl the meringue with the back of the tablespoon to form peaks.
- 26To prevent weeping, be sure the meringue is sealed to the very edge of the pie, and that all the filling is covered.
- 27Bake the pie for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 28Cool the pie away from drafts.
- 29Do not cut the pie until it is almost cool.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tangerine Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.1
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 155.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: