Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Recipe Courtesy Bobby Flay, 2007 - Show: Boy Meets Grill - Episode: Updated Backyard Picnic
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 quart tangerine juice or 1 quart tangerine-orange juice, not from concentrate
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tangerines or 1 orange, zested
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- grilled oranges and tangerine, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over high heat, add the onion and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the juice and thyme, bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduce to approximately 1/2 cup, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl and whisk in the syrup, soy sauce and black pepper and let cool to room temperature before using.
- Brush chicken on both sides with the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on both sides and just cooked through. Begin brushing with the glaze during the last 5 minutes of grilling. Remove to a platter and sprinkle with the green onion. Garnish with grill citrus.