Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A tasty, lower-calorie, lower-fat treat from Richard Simmons. Less than half the calories and 1/7th the fat of traditional poppy-seed cake. From his book, Sweetie Pie.
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter® Spread, room temperature
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 4 teaspoons grated tangerine zest or 4 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon frozen tangerine juice concentrate or 3⁄4 teaspoon orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar or 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a light coat of cooking spray onto a 10-inch bundt pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat butter spread until smooth, about 2 minutes on medium with a hand mixer.
- Beat in sugar until well blended.
- Beat in whole eggs, one at a time, and then beat in the egg white.
- Beat in the zest and the poppy seeds.
- In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk and juice concentrate.
- Alternately fold the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the flour, until just blended.
- DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Pour batter into bundt pan, and gently tap pan on the counter to release any air pockets.
- Bake until cake pulls away from the side of the pan, and until a toothpick comes out clean from the center (about 40-45 minutes).
- Transfer pan to cooling rack, and let cool 10 minutes.
- With a small knife, loosen the sides of the cake, and invert onto the rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze:.
- In a small bowl, stir the water, juice concentrate and zest. Stir in powdered/confectioners sugar, until just pourable.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.