Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Heat the cream and half n half just to the simmer.
- Remove the zest from the tangerine and place it in the cream.
- Let it steep for about 1/2 hour.
- Squeeze in about 1 tablespoon of the juice. Beat the egg yolks until light and pour the hot cream over them whisking the entire time. Add the vanilla and strain the mixture though a fine sieve. Fill ramekins with the mixture, place them in a large baking dish and fill the dish with hot water to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 300 degrees or until the custards are set. They will continue cooking after you remove them, so they can still have a small amount of movement in the center.
- Chill completely.
- Sift the brown sugar and place a light coating over each ramekin.
- Either place under your broiler or, in my case, I use my propane torch until the sugar has melted.
- * I usually halve this recipe since we are two.
- If a make it any larger than this recipe (which really only serves 6 with my size ramekins) I will add an extra yolk.