Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
got this off asiafood.org
Make and share this Tangerine Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1 kg) roasting chickens or 1 (1 kg) chicken thigh fillet
- 2 tangerines or 2 mandarin oranges
- 1 teaspoon szechwan pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 3 tablespoons tangerine juice or 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Chinese wine or 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- Cut chicken in pieces Chinese style.
- Remove the zest of one of the tangerines and cut into fine strips. Squeeze the juice, strain and reserve. Peel the second tangerine, divide into segments, peel and set aside for garnishing. Roast Szechwan pepper, crush to a powder.
- Heat oil in a wok and on low heat fry the garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add the chicken and toss over high heat until the colour changes. Sprinkle with the Szechwan pepper, add tangerine juice, wine or sherry and soy sauce. Cover and cook until chicken is just tender. Just before serving stir in the sesame oil.
- * If tangerines are not in season, use 3 or 4 pieces of dried tangerine peel, soaked in a little warm water or Chinese wine until soft. Cut into fine shreds and add while simmering the chicken.