Recipe by ChrisMc
This is one of my favorite takeout dishes - it's sweet and hot; I've had this with both beef and chicken (for tangerine chicken or shrimp, use chicken broth instead of beef).
Top Review by Barb R
Honestly, one of the best citrus beef recipes we've ever done - and we do a lot of them. Thank you!!! We didn't know that boiling tangerine peel made it so soft and sweet. It lends a really special flavor to this beef, it is wonderful. We used the tangerine juice (since we had the tangerines) and used sirloin steak. Easy and fast to make, too!
- 1 lb flank steak
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tangerines
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, plus
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 dried red chilies
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (or juice from the tangerines)
- 4 tablespoons beef broth
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice steak against grain and pound with tenderizer.
- Combine 1 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs sherry, pepper, egg yolk, and sesame oil; marinate beef in mixture.
- Peel tangarines; boil peel and shred.
- Coat the beef with cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a wok and brown beef.
- Remove the beef; add the chilis to the hot oil and stir-fry.
- Add tangerine peel and onion and stir-fry.
- Add remaining soy sauce, sherry, orange juice, and beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and stir until caramelized.
- Add beef and stir to coat.