I like to make this with sweet dumpling squash, but you can use acorn squash which is quite similar. This dish has a nice citrus flavor and the pine nuts are a wonderful touch.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice squash in half and remove seeds and fibers; place skin side up in a baking pan filled with 1/2-inch water.
- Bake squash in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until tender.
- Scoop flesh from squash and place in a bowl; mash.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring well, and place in a small casserole dish.
- Place dish in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve hot.
I made this as an experimental side for Thankgiving. The recipe has promise, but I found that the zest of 3 tangerines was far too much. The flavor of the squash was overwhelmed by the tangerine flavor. I will try this recipe again, but perhaps with only a tablespoon of zest.