Recipe by byZula
Recipe by Gale Gand. (This is a recipe I've adopted from the Zaar account.)
Top Review by *Z*
Everyone thought the cake was excellent, but they thought the glaze was too sweet.The next time I make this I will either reduce the sugar in the glaze or omit the glaze entirely. It was very easy to follow the directions. I had no trouble even though it was my first time making a homemade angel food cake.
For the Cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium tangerine zest, grated
For the glaze
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed tangerine juice
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1⁄2 lb confectioners' sugar
- 1 slice fresh tangerine (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the cake: in a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until white and foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue whipping until soft, droopy peaks form.
- Still whipping, add 1 cup of the sugar in a thin stream and whip until stiff and glossy.
- With a sifter, sift the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cake flour together 3 times to aerate and lighten the mixture.
- (Or sift through a strainer onto a sheet of waxed paper.) Fold into the egg whites 1/3 at a time.
- Fold in the vanilla and the tangerine rind.
- Gently spoon the mixture into an ungreased tube pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Turn the pan upside down and hang it around the neck of a wine bottle to cool to room temperature.
- Slide a butter knife around the sides of the pan and put a serving plate on top.
- Turn over and knock the cake out onto the plate.
- (The browned crust of the cake will stick to the pan).
- When the cake has cooled thoroughly, make the glaze: Whisk together the tangerine juice and egg whites, then add the powdered sugar and stir until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze evenly over the cake.
- Let set in a cool place.
- Garnish with the tangerine slices.