Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Mock Sweet and Sour Shrimp Balls from Florence Lin
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, packed
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons minced water chestnuts, fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon msg
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds or 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 cups oil
- 1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine mashed potatoes, eggwhites and corn starch. Stir in one direction until becomes smooth and elastic but very soft. If it is too dry add water [2 to 3 tbsp].
- Add minced water chestnuts, salt and MSG. Mix well.
- Wet hankds and shape into balls a bit bigger than walnuts. Roll sparingly in the seeds.
- Heat wok to very hot. Add oil. Heat to 350°F Fry balls a few at a time until golden. Drain and set aside. KEEP the oil hot.
- Heat saucepan and add 3 tbsp oil from wok.
- Combine sauce ingredients. make sure sugar and cornstarch are dissolved. Add to saucepan and stir constantly.
- AT the same time REFRY the balls in the wok for 1 minute. Use the strainer and remove balls placing in saucepan.
- Stir quickly, coat entirely with sauce. Remove and serve very hot.
- 4 servings main course, 8 servings side dish.