Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
That's right---the astronaut's drink! This came from a 1974 Sure-Jell booklet. My kids enjoyed the jelly on toast, and they said their friends didn't believe it was made from a powdered drink. A definite conversation-piece!
- 3 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup Tang orange crystals, powdered drink
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box fruit pectin (powdered)
- Measure sugar and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan; mix well.
- Place over high heat and stir until mixture comes to a hard boil.
- Immediately add all sugar and stir.
- Bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, skim off foam with a metal spoon, and pour quickly into half-pint glass jars.
- Wipe rims, apply lids and water bath process for 10 minutes.
- Remove from canner and place jars on a clean, dry towel to cool.
One of the Boy Scouts in my troop can't go camping without having hot tang with breakfast in the morning. This is the perfect Christmas gift for him (and the rest of the scouts). This gelled really nicely and ended up making 6 1-2 pints of a gorgeous orange jelly.