Prep 24 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This is tandoori chicken adapted for the grill, plan ahead the chicken needs to marinate overnight in the yogurt, I have made this recipe many times, it's wonderful! :)
- 2 1⁄2 cups full-fat plain yogurt, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 chicken legs (with thighs attached, skin on or removed)
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- In a processor blend 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt with the next 9 ingredients (the lemon juice to cayenne pepper) until smooth and well blended; transfer to a large bowl; mix in the remaining 1 cup yogurt with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the chicken and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Prepare the grill to a medium-high heat.
- Place the marinated-coated chicken on the grill, do not wash off the yogurt marinade, but discard any marinade from the bowl.
- Grill the chicken (about 12-13 minutes per side) basting with melted butter the last 5 minutes of cooking on both sides, season with more salt and pepper if desired while cooking.
I could not discard the yogurt marinade, the smell was too good. I grilled the legs in the oven. 10 Minutes before serving I spooned the rest of the marinad on the chicken and I grilled until brown.
Delicious with this sauce and rice together. Thanks for the recipe!
Kitten - this was awesome!! I made this a couple nights ago and my husband, myself and Rose scarfed this down - Rose kept asking for more! We will be adding this to our regular dinner rotation!
Delicious and healthy. Kittencal has another winner here. I marinated for more than 24 hours! I will be making this again.