Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious marinated shrimp that works as an appetizer or a main course dish. From Madhur Jaffrey's "Indian Cooking" cookbook, a fave of mine.
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and finely grated (2 1/2 cm cube)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and mashed to a pulp
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons yellow food coloring
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 3⁄4 lb frozen peeled shrimp, defrosted and patted dry
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Put the yogurt in a bowl.
- Beat lightly with a fork until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add ginger, garlic, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, ground roasted cumin seeds, garam masala, and liquid yellow and red food colouring.
- Stir to mix and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the marinade and mix well.
- Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon to a bowl, keeping the marinade.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- When the butter has melted completely, turn heat to medium high and immediately pour in the marinade.
- Stir and fry for a few minutes or until the butter separates and you have a thick bubbly sauce clinging to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the shrimp and fold in; cook for a few minutes, stirring gently.
- Do not overcook the shrimp.
- Serve immediately.