This is adapted from a Emeril Lagasse recipe for the Fresh Food Fast show. Please note that this recipe requires a minimum of 4 hours marinade time, not included in the preparation time listed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 chicken drumsticks (about 2 1/2 to 3-pounds)
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon serrano pepper, finely chopped (or jalapeno)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt, plain whole-fat
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1Place the chicken in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag.
- 2Combine the onion, 6 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger, serrano pepper, and oil in a blender, and process on high speed until it forms a smooth paste. Add the paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, and cayenne, and continue to process until well blended. Add 1 /2 cup yogurt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and process again to form a smooth sauce, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Pour the marinade over the chicken, seal the bag, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours, turning the chicken occasionally.
- 3Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 4Remove the chicken from the marinade, pat it dry with paper towels, and arrange in one layer on the baking sheet. Brush the chicken on one side with just enough vegetable oil to coat and season it with the salt and 1 /4 teaspoon white pepper. Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces on the other side and continue to cook 10 to 15 minutes longer until nicely browned and cooked through and an instant- read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the drumstick (without touching the bone) registers 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest briefly.
- 5While the chicken is cooking, make the yogurt dipping sauce by combining the remaining 1 cup yogurt, mint, honey, minced garlic, the remaining 1 1 /2 teaspoons ginger, 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon white pepper in a bowl and stirring until well incorporated. Serve with the chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tandoori-Style Chicken Drumsticks
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.2
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 189.3 mg
- Sodium 1755.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 46.6 g